Thursday, December 16, 2010

Killing Fields of Christmas

One of the most overreported but underappreciated facets of daily frontline policing is the carnage caused by drunk drivers. I received this link http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8 from an SQ ami and an RCMP friend who urged me and others on their list to share it widely as it should be seen by anyone who drives. It's pretty powerful stuff, so be warned, it's not for the faint of heart.

The images took me back to my days as a young ambulance jockey and reminded me that there is a new generation of frontline responder who wades into this carnage on too many occasions. I'll confess that a tear rolled down my cheek watching this, at the senseless violence, the tragic loss and the simple knowledge that many people who dislike the police have no idea what the police and other first responders face on a daily basis. Well, they'll know after viewing this.

I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas with the gentle reminder that the greatest gift you can give your loved ones this holiday season is to simply arrive alive! All the best in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment